Measuring for Screens
Please print these instructions out for easy reference while you measure your screens.
Directions for Measuring Vertical Companionway Openings
When All Sides Are Straight
To build the vertical companionway screen where all sides are straight, we need five (5) measurements.
1) Width of companionway opening at the bottom, including the depth of the channel or track that holds the dropboards. The easiest way to obtain this measurement is to simply measure the bottom width of the bottom dropboard.
2) Width of companionway opening at the top, including the depth of the channel or track that holds the dropboards. To obtain this measurement, first place all of the dropboards into the track. Looking down on the top edge of the top dropboard, measure the top width from side to side. This dimension may or may not be the same as the top of the top dropboard depending on how accurately the dropboards were cut.
3) Height of the companionway opening from the bottom of the track (or the bridgedeck) to the bottom edge of the face of the sliding companionway top. If you are using a tape measure, hook the end under the interior side of the bottom dropboard and measure to the bottom edge of the top slider. Do this at the center and on the port and starboard side to see if the companionway is level. Always measure straight up, not at an angle. If you are using a yardstick, measure from the bottom of the track of bridgedeck straight up to the bottom of the slider. Again do this in the center of the companionway and on the port and starboard sides.
4) Width of the track or channel that holds the dropboards. It is best to measure the width of the track or channel and not the dropboards themselves as there is often considerable play between the two.
5) Bevel angle on the top edge of the top companionway board. On most boats with forward leaning companionways, the top edge of the top board is cut at an angle so the top edge is parallel to the top slider. The easiest way to provide us with this angle is to place the top board on its side edge and trace an outline of this bevel angle on to a piece of paper and send it along with the other dimensions. We will replicate this angle on the top edge of the screen.